Cullaville is a small village about 2 miles outside Crossmaglen situated right on the border with County Monaghan
The townland of Cullaville is actually in County Monaghan and is home to a disused railway station which was a stop on the old Dundalk to Enniskillen line which closed in 1957.
The village displays artefacts from the last century including a blacksmiths anvil, wheels from the local scutch (flax) mill, and a portion of the railway line.
The main road from Castleblayney to Dundalk runs through Cullaville. It is known as “concession road”.
When the border was created, motorists going from north to south had to travel on a small number of “approved” roads which had custom posts on them. The many other “unapproved” roads along the border were scouted constantly by custom patrols to stop people from using them.
As the road through Cullaville was part of the main Dublin to Derry road, Southern motorists were allowed to travel on the section that passes through County Armagh provided they did not stop on it or turn off it, hence the name “concession road”.
As there were no custom posts on this road many locals used it to cross the border even though it was not an “approved” road.
Crossing into the South by an unapproved road was known locally as “jumping the border”.