A gorse fire has been burning at the Ballintemple end of Slieve Gullion mountain since Friday. Fire crews have been working tirelessly alongside volunteers from Mourne Heritage Trust amongst others, to bring the fire under control. The Irish Air Corps are also providing vital assistance by air lifting water from Camlough lake to douse the fire.
The emergency services request that people refrain from walking on the summit of Slieve Gullion mountain and visiting the area of the fire as this is hindering their work; in particular badly parked vehicles on the narrow roads.
In the ongoing heat wave we ask all visitors to be vigilant when out and about in the Ring of Gullion. Please be extremely careful when using BBQs, disposing of cigarette butts and other possible sources of fire. All it takes is one spark.
The Forest Park with the Giant’s Lair trail and play park, is still open as normal.