The Ring of Gullion needs more Ambassadors and now you can get training and lots of support to share your interest in our natural, built and cultural heritage and perhaps set up a part-time business.
The Draft Tourism Strategy for Northern Ireland to 2020 sets out growth targets to increase our visitor numbers to 4.5 million, the employment supported by tourism to 50,000 jobs, and the revenue generated by tourism to £1 billion for the Northern Ireland economy. This is a growth industry and there are many opportunities for guiding visitors, especially for anyone with a second language skill.
Knowing more about our heritage and passing on that knowledge is also of vital importance to communities and our sense of place. This course will help you to explore your heritage, build up a collection of stories and share them with your own community as well as visitors.
Even if you would just like to give tours and presentations for your community, your school or other groups, this short Ring of Gullion Ambassador course will help you to build up your knowledge and stories, and also give you the techniques, confidence and practical skills to lead a group as well as entertain them. The Ring of Gullion Landscape Partnership has commissioned specialist trainers, to deliver the courses in South Armagh and participants from this community are particularly welcome.
This course is open to everyone from young people hoping to improve their CV’s and tourism businesses to retirees and people just wanting to try something different. No previous qualifications or experience is required. On completion you will receive a First Aid Certificate, a Ring of Gullion Ambassador Certificate, an OCN NI Accreditation and have insurance to lead free walks for your community. These can be a first step to further qualifications.
There is no specific entry requirements. However, candidates should have strong communication skills and a passion for telling the stories of the local area. If we are over subscribed we will ask candidates to provide a 250 word profile.
The Ambassador classes and site visits will run from Saturday 2nd September to Monday 9th October; provisional dates are detailed below.
Places are limited so please register as soon as possible by emailing, Alison at: [email protected] The course costs £65 which will be payable upon booking; however if you have volunteered 100 hours or more to the Landscape Partnership you can participate on the Ambassador course for free. The money can be paid by calling into the Ring of Gullion Office in Crossmaglen Community Centre or by cheque, made out to Newry, Mourne & Down District Council sent to:
Ring of Gullion Landscape Partnership
Crossmaglen Community Centre
Ambassador Programme schedule
- Saturday 2nd September: 10am – 4pm – Pick up and drop off at Newry Museum
- Monday 4th September: 9.30am – 5pm – Crossmaglen Community Centre
- Wednesday 6th September: 6pm – 8pm – Meet at Slieve Gullion Forest Park
- Monday 11th September: 9.30am – 5pm – Crossmaglen Community Centre
- Wednesday 13th September: 7pm – 9pm – Meet in Camlough village
- Monday 18th September: 9.30am – 5pm – Crossmaglen Community Centre
- Thursday 21st September: 6pm – 8pm – Meet at Slieve Gullion Forest Park
- Saturday 23rd September: 10am – 2pm – Crossmaglen Community Centre
- Monday 2nd October: 9.30am – 5pm – Slieve Gullion Forest Park
- Saturday 7th October: 10am – 4pm – Slieve Gullion Forest Park
- Monday 9th October: 9.30am – 5pm – Slieve Gullion Forest Park