Killeavy Castle, County Armagh, is a remarkable, mid-19th century, granite, Tudoresque, crenellated house, transformed by George Papworth of Dublin. It is picturesquely set at the foot of Slieve Gullion, within a maturely planted demesne. Along with its substantial farmyard, towered wall, gate screen, and walled garden it forms an important group of buildings.
Formerly known as Killevy Lodge, it was the residence of the Foxall family, whose vault is situated nearby, at St Luke’s Church. In 1836, Powell Foxall JP (1800-75), a Newry banker, commissioned the architect George Papworth to enlarge his modest farmhouse. It was subsequently transformed into a little Gothic castle.
The 1837 ordnance survey memoirs remark that,
Killevy Lodge, the residence of John Foxall, is situated in the townland of Clonlum. It stands on the eastern base of Slieve Gullion and is built with considerable taste in castellated style. It was completed during the present year.
In 1852, the castle was offered for sale by auction; however, a buyer was not found and subsequently part of the demesne was sold. By 1881, Killeavy was in the possession of the Bell family, and thereafter it became known locally as Bell’s Castle. William R Bell MBE JP (1872-1941) and his wife Mary (d 1949) are both buried at St Luke’s Church, Meigh.